Hello Pitch Warriors/Mentors/Potential Mentees! I know I’m a little late getting this posted this year, but I figured I should get it posted anyway. Without further ado…
I’m Meagan Evans. I’m 26 years old and live in the suburbs of Seattle. I grew up in Connecticut, and despite living in different places for over 12 years, it still feels the most like home. I like coffee, sweets, buying more home decor than I can fit into my apartment, Christmas shopping, fairy lights, daydreaming that my hair isn’t normally a mess of frizzy curls, crying from laughter with my mom, and making people smile. One of my biggest goals in life other than getting published is making people – and myself, for that matter – proud.
For this year’s Pitch Wars, I’m submitting the same manuscript I submitted last year. Well, sort of. I did a fair bit of editing, so some things are the same, others are different.
OUT FROM UNDER is a YA contemporary about a girl who, along with her parents, escapes from an underground bunker and quickly falls into the world of the royals – which just happens to include a super adorable prince. That’s the short version. “What’s the long version?” you ask? (Humor me and pretend you asked.)
Seventeen-year-old Poppy Barlow thinks the world is on fire. Literally. After spending seven years in the safety of a bunker with her parents and an occasionally-violent, apocalypse-fearing man named David, she has no reason to suspect otherwise. So when her parents insist they escape when David is asleep, Poppy is shocked to see that the world is just as they left it.
A few days after arriving at their new home in England, their neighbor pulls them into one of the most elite inner circles in the world: the royal family’s. And one member of that family happens to be the seriously adorable Prince Henry, who Poppy can’t help but start falling for. By some miracle, Henry starts falling for her, too. The Queen, however, is more than a little skeptical of Poppy, and her weird upbringing and total lack of knowledge of what the world is like nowadays aren’t helping. Despite the stress of trying to win the Queen’s approval, Poppy feels like her new life is pretty close to perfect.
Until, that is, David decides he isn’t going to sit back and let the Barlows live happily without him – especially after he sees Poppy’s face on the cover of a tabloid linking her to Prince Henry. If David wins, Poppy will lose the crazy yet incredible new life she’s creating for herself. But if there’s one thing Poppy Barlow refuses to do, it’s lose. She can only hope that finding a way to outsmart David while still keeping Henry around doesn’t make her lose one of the most important things of all: herself.
I’ve put a lot of time into this manuscript, but I know it can be better. I’m hoping to make it truly shine with a mentor’s help. Revision ideas? Show me the red ink. Killing my darlings? Hand me the knife in the form of a delete key. Rewrites? I’ve got my blue-light reducing glasses on and my hands ready to type. I’m willing to put in the work, and would be thrilled to do so. More than anything, I want to make a mentor (and myself) proud, regardless of the final outcome. If we could add our names to the list of Pitch Wars successes, that’s even better.
The Random Stuff
- I haven’t gone a single day in the past year without listening to at least one song from the Hamilton soundtrack. Even though I haven’t been lucky enough to see the show yet, I absolutely love it.
- Hi, my name is Meagan, and I’m a TV-holic. Seriously, my list of favorite TV shows is way too long, but some of my favorites are One Tree Hill, This is Us, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, iZombie, MTV’s The Challenge, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Stranger Things, The Bold Type, Younger, Gilmore Girls, American Housewife, The Great British Bake Off, How to Get Away with Murder, The Mick, and as seen in the previous GIF, Big Brother.
- I’m also a Disney nerd. Disney World is one of my favorite places, I love pretty much any Disney movie, and Walt Disney will forever be my answer to the question, “If you could have lunch with one person, dead or alive, who would it be?”
- I’m an Arizona Wildcat, born and raised. My years at the UA were some of the best years of my life so far. I’m still waiting patiently for our next basketball national championship win.
- I’m happiest at Christmastime. Crisp air, the occasional bit of snow, cozy clothes, decorated trees, houses decked out in lights, Hallmark Christmas movie marathons, candy canes, cookies, spending time with loved ones…you get the point.
I think that sums up the main, GIF-able stuff. If you’re curious to know more, feel free to ask me on Twitter @MegEvansWrites. And feel free to follow me! New friends are more than welcome.
Best of luck, fellow potential mentees! And to the mentors, Brenda, and everyone else involved, thank you so much for your time, commitment, and kindness, and best of luck to all of you, too!
P.S. To participate in the #pimpmybio Blog Hop or to view links to other bios, click here!