Hey there, Pitch Wars mentors and potential mentees! I’m Meagan, and the novel I’m submitting is a YA contemporary titled OUT FROM UNDER. I’m so excited to be able to enter this year, and I can’t wait to see the mentors’ selections.
Here are a few facts about me:
- Disney World is my happy place, and Disneyland is a close second. One of my friends is “friends” with Cinderella and Rapunzel at Disney World and has been in Cinderella’s Castle Suite more times than I can count. I’m eternally jealous and daydream about setting foot in there one day.
- I love TV. Some of my favorites are Orphan Black, iZombie, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Gilmore Girls (I need the reboot now, please), Once Upon a Time, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Outlander, and Jane the Virgin. Some of my TV guilty pleasures: UnREAL, The Royals, and Big Brother. The drama gets me every time!
- I love, love, love dogs. They’re the best at fixing a bad mood. I have a golden retriever and a miniature beagle. Their snuggles always make me smile.
- Amy Poehler is one of my heroes. She’s a badass.
- I grew up in Connecticut and now live in the Seattle area. I love the Pacific Northwest, but nothing compares to New England. Especially at Christmastime.
- I’m the fourth person in my family to graduate from the University of Arizona. It’s one of my favorite places in the world. And I’m a diehard Wildcats fan. If Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year (which it is, in my opinion), March Madness is a close second.
- I’m sort of heartbroken that I didn’t get to see Hamilton with the full original cast. Or even #Ham4Ham. I still want to see the show someday, and I’m crossing my fingers I’ll get to see it if/when Lin returns!
As far as writing goes, it’s something I’ve been doing for as long as I can remember. I wrote my first “book” in preschool as a class assignment, and haven’t stopped writing since. My fourth grade teacher was the person who really made me want to be a writer, even though I didn’t know back then that having a career as a writer was a possibility.
The book I’m submitting for Pitch Wars this year is my second novel. My first novel was a YA thriller titled PHASE ONE, and despite some requests for fulls, it ultimately didn’t work out. I decided to set it aside last year so I could write my new book.
My YA contemporary, OUT FROM UNDER, is basically Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt meets THE ROYAL WE. It has romance, some funny moments, female friendships, and a bit of suspense. Click here for a more detailed description.
I like to think of myself as a very hard worker, and I’m 100% willing to take feedback and work with it, even if it means killing my darlings. Critiques may sting sometimes, but they’re worth enduring to get to the end result. Especially if a few smiley faces and encouraging notes are thrown in. And anyway, the pain of a critique is never worse than this:
I mean, if you felt like stabbing me in the eye with a pencil, we wouldn’t be a good match anyway.
Well, there you have it! If you want to know more about me, you can find me on Twitter @MegEvansWrites.
Having the help of a Pitch Wars mentor would be incredible, and I know everyone who gets picked is going to have a great experience. I can’t wait to hear the success stories that are sure to come later this year!
Good luck to all, and happy pitching!